Sustainable solutions for fish farming
Aquaculture plays a key role in the management of world food supplies and the growing demand for fish. The BlueSea products from Wieland help to organise farming into a business that is as environmentally friendly, sustainable, and low cost as possible.
One of the greatest challenges facing today’s aquaculture is the protection of the environment. Most cages are made of artificial fibres like nylon. These materials are not only scarcely recyclable and contribute to the plastics pollution of the oceans, but are also highly susceptible to biofouling, or the encrustation of their surfaces. They therefore need complex and expensive maintenance. Furthermore, this susceptibility to fouling places a great strain on the fish living in the cages. This, in turn, leads to complex treatment, placing even greater strain on the fish and retarding their growth.
Hello, I am Matthias Hucker.
Do you have any questions about aquaculture?
Backed by its knowledge of design, mechanical systems and material handling and its expertise in copper, Wieland can offer an environmentally friendly solution with BlueSea products. The service company that covers all steps in aquaculture - from the production of the cages to their installation and maintenance - is Wieland BlueSea AS.
Your benefits with BlueSea products from Wieland
- Wieland provides all of the methods for manufacturing brass nets from the one source – in compliance with the NS9415 and NYTEK regulations and standards.
- Thanks to the natural properties of Wieland BlueSea brass, our products are environmentally friendly in that they reduce cleaning and hence maintenance over the whole lifecycle.
- The cages improve water flow and circulation and provide for a high oxygen content, reducing in turn the necessity of treating the fish.
- The high mechanical strength of the special brass cage resists attack from predators and the large forces generated by waves and currents, and so reduces the number of escaping fish.
- Fish farming then not only becomes sustainable and ecological, it also increases returns, lowers costs, and improves the health of the fish.
- Wieland BlueSea nets can be installed virtually anywhere, also offshore.
- The brass is fully recyclable even after years in saltwater – so the metal value is retained over the whole service life.